Learn from the experts
Practical advice from our expert consultants
Next Step - Blogs
Successfully Hiring Sales Leader by Next Step | posted: 01/13/2016
The most impactful company mistake occurs when hiring a sales leader. While selecting the best talent for all roles is challenging; identifying and on boarding a sales leader position is more fraught with error because:
- Most executives or entrepreneurs who are responsible for hiring a sales leader do not have a sales background. Without knowing the challenges, needs, skills needed for success in a role it is difficult to judge one candidate versus another.
- Different types of services, products and companies require specific sales approaches. Many times a sales person or manager is good at one type of sales but his / her skills and style may not be a match for the type of sales required by another company.
- A hungry sales person seeking his / her next job may be good at selling themselves – but this does not mean they really the right sales person or manager for your company.
- Specific expectations for the first months’ sales results are not agreed upon and/ or the sales compensation does not align with company goals.
These issues can have a significant impact on company executives and investors as illustrated by the real world case of Teckno.
Avoid the impact of these mistakes through:
- Deep knowledge of the sales process and the skills, experience and style required to successfully drive sales for your company.
- A multi-faceted candidate assessment process that leads to joint understanding of requirements, expectations and fit of the selected candidate’s skills and style with the company.
- Compensation, on boarding and support aligned with company and candidate’s expectations.
Learn more about Hiring a Sales Leader.
Take the Next Step to Avoid Hiring Mistakes
Call Next Step on (650) 361-1902 for a complementary consultation before you embark hiring a sales leader to your business.